Education and Teaching:
S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook B.S. Degree in Biology 1975
New York University Grad A & S M.S. Degreein Microbiology/Immunology 1987
NYU College of Dentistry D.D.S. Degree 1990
NYU PG Orthodontic Residency Specialist in Orthodontics 1992
Instructor in Microbiology, NYU College of Dentistry 1986-1990
Assistant Clinical Professor UCSF Orthodontic Residency 2002-2007
I love orthodontics; every case is different and every person is uniquely interesting. I consider it a privilege to make a difference in so many people’s lives, and be allowed the honor of being a part of their lives. I find it satisfying when a young patient exudes self-esteem and confidence, and is no longer afraid to smile. I am so happy to enable my patients’ self-improvement.
Education and Continuing Education
For four years after college, I taught English in Greece. I became proficient in the Greek language and was fortunate enough to visit many of the Greek islands. Upon my return to the US, I attended New York University for my Master of Science in microbiology, and following that, my Doctorate of Dental Surgery from NYU College of Dentistry. I completed my post-graduate orthodontic residency at NYU College of Dentistry, as well.
I am a firm believer that one can never stop learning, because life is not static. It is my privilege to be an orthodontist and provide a variety of services that range from adolescent treatment in my private office, relief for sufferers of TMJ, and cleft palate orthodontics for children in remote villages in Nepal.
Orthodontics should be done once and done properly. Continuing my education in new and innovative treatments and techniques allows me to provide the state-of-the-art care my patients deserve. My signature is on every case that I treat, and I take great pride in my work.
I have been practicing orthodontics in private practice for 23 years. During that time, I was a part-time clinical assistant professor in the post-graduate residency program at UCSF. I am licensed to practice orthodontics in California and New York.
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association
- California Association of Orthodontists
- California Dental Association
- Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists
- American Academy of Facial Esthetics
- Roth Williams International Society of Orthodontics
- The Public Heath Concern Trust, Nepal
Outside the Office
I am originally from Merrick, Long Island, New York, but have lived in California for the past 23 years. I am now bi-coastal, and spend time in New York and Yuba City.
In my free time, I enjoy bicycling, traveling, and participating in long-distance open-water swims across the Chesapeake Bay to raise money for diabetes. My husband is an endodontist, avid skier, swimmer, and cyclist. My daughter is 24 and in the music business. We have twin 19-year-old boys in college. To keep us company at home, we have a German Shepherd named Ranger and a Black Lab named Molly.
Community Leadership; Global Health
I believe that helping one child helps the world. My volunteer work with the cleft palate team in Nepal has improved the quality of life for so many rural village children who otherwise would have no access to medical care. I was sponsored by SmileTrain for several trips to Nepal in 2009 and 2010. Since 2011, ReSurge International has sponsored me as a visiting educator to continue my work with the Remote Outreach Cleft Palate Team in Nepal.
- Children’s Medical Aid Foundation, board of directors, 2009-2013
- ReSurge International, Nepal, visiting educator, 2010-2014
- Smile Train, Bangladesh and Nepal, cleft and craniofacial, 2009-2011
- Cleft Lip & Palate Remote Outreach Team, Nepal 2009-2014
- Folk Nepal, P.H.E.C.T. (Public Health Education Concern Trust) , Khotang, Nepal, free dental clinic, 2011
- Butte Sierra District Dental Society, president, 2004-2005
- House of Delegates, California Dental Association, Member, 2003-2004
- California Dental Association, Political Action Committee Component chair, 1999-2000
- Butte Sierra District Dental Society, editor, 1993-1999
- Catholic Medical Mission Board, NYU Dental Students to Ghana, founder, 1990
Honors and Awards
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research Award, Comprehensive Oral Health Research Post-Doctoral Training Program, 2004-2006
- Butte Sierra District Dental Society, Distinguished Service Award, 2005
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society, 1990
- Quintessence Publishing Award, 1990
- New York University Chancellor’s Service Award for Volunteerism and Community Service, 1990
- New York University Chancellor’s Service Award for Programming, 1989
- National Institutes of Health, student research grants (DE07788 and DE09576), 1989
- DENTSPLY Student Clinician Award, 1989
- New York University College of Dentistry Dean’s Research Fellowship, 1988
- New York University and National Institutes of Health, selected conference attendee, 1988
- American Association for Dental Research, 1st Place Table Clinics, 1986, 1987